Sunday, August 13, 2006

Honey, I drowned the chicken

Today's recipe was Chicken Tofu Casserole. This is what it's supposed to look like:

Photo from Women's health & fitness vol. 12 no.6.

It involved a lot of ingredients. One of which was chicken stock. What's the fucking difference between a chicken stock and chicken broth anyway!? I couldn't find chicken stock, so I just got the other one. Another ingredient was a bulb of garlic which I was supposed to chop them up into tiny pieces.

What would a guy do if he's too lazy to chop garlic?

Yep, you got that right. He'd go back out and get a bottle of Lee Kum Kee freshly minced garlic. Here's the masterpiece:


It was a bit watery. The recipe said to add cornflour, I poured some cornflour into a cup with half a cup of hot water. I then poured god knows how much chicken broth into the pan together with the cornflour-mixed-water. That was where all the water came from. Now I realised that I was supposed to add 1 tsp of cornflour to the 1/4 cup of chicken broth! Would the cornflour actually dissolve in the chicken broth? I guess I'll need to heat up the chicken broth first. Geez ~ HASSLE! Oh people don't die from eatting too much cornflour right? Hopefully not; I added more cornflour to make it less watery.

Well, it tasted okay but I think that's only because I put tons of hoisin sauce in it. I give this a 2/10.

3 Comments:

Blogger q said...

cornflour is fine in cold water.

it will dissolve and look milky.

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they say we learn more from our failures than our successes, right? (I wouldn't know, I've NEVER failed at anything - as if!)
noting that the recipe comes from 'women's fitness' (if it were anyone else but you, that in itself might seem strange :)), those sorts of meals are number one designed for nutritional value, and probably style and presentation (even taste?) come a very distant second.
go and buy the latest 'delicious' (abc) mag and try something simple from their 'tuesday night cooking' section - all their recipes are seasonal and strike a good balance between style, taste and nutritional make-up..
um, hope you like this 'essay'!!

9:41 AM  
Blogger John Ng said...

Dmnk: Thanks for the info.

Daz: The lastest 'Delicious' mag... sounds like a good gift for someone learning to cook, doesn't it? *hint

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home