Sunday, August 06, 2006

Cooking with John

You know when it comes to business, people always say 'stick with what you know'. That's why I cooked my own dinner tonight. I know for a fact that to be a successful restaurateur, you need more than just a cute face and your parents money. Experience and knowledge are of utmost importance.

I borrowed my sister's Meals in Minute cookbook and decided to make Chicken Stir-fry with Bok Choy. This is how it's supposed to look like:

Photo from: Women's Weekly - Asian Meals in Minute.

I went to Safeway to get the ingredients, which were chicken breast, bok choy, red capsicum, soy sauce and seasoning.

It was quite simple to make. All I needed to do was to cut the stuff up first.

Then I just had to fry the chicken first, followed by the capsicum and garlic, and finally put the chicken back in together with the bok choy and soy sauce. Easy job!

It tasted okay. Note to self:

  1. Don't over cook the meat.
  2. Don't use too much oil.
  3. Check how to make sauce.

I am improving I think. At least this time the stir-fry actually had taste. I give myself a 7 out of 10... 6's for effort ~HA!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you cooked to yourself? When will u cook for me then? It actaully looks better than the cook book. :) Invent more dishes and looking forward to taste them.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that the quality of the raw ingredients is VERY important to the overall outcome of the dish - next time try shopping at the Vic Market for the chicken and veggies (Tues and Thurs mornings are nice and quiet, otherwise weekend is good too). The chicken from Safeway is often frozen then thawed, not to mention pumped full of water and preservatives, which pretty much guarantees it will have no flavour..

9:31 AM  
Blogger John Ng said...

wil: haha my cooking is not good enough to meet the public yet... and to cook for picky critics like you and jia huey?? I need to improve more first haha...

daz: yeah I've thought about that but at the moment, I'm still not sure when to put abc in and when to add in xyz... once I am familiar with all those stuff, I'll start thinking about ingredients more.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jushie said...

Mmm...looks like you're getting there. And it seems you're getting a point better each week. Invite me over to your place for dinner in 3 weeks time :)

Btw, whats with the constant name change? Having a split personality at the moment? I'm waiting to see you use Wonderwoman

1:29 PM  
Blogger John Ng said...

Yeah I was gonna change it to Wonderboy but thought that'd just come out sounding like Wonderbra... haha

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home